Friday, November 19, 2010

In Loving Memory of my Grandmother, Violet Wall

Grandma's dream has finally come and she has gone to be with her Lord and Saviour on November 18, 2010.

Grandma has been sick for a long time and spent the last two years living at the hospital and in the end at the Menno Home in Grunthal. It was hard for her to leave her apartment but soon became quite used to her place at Bethesda.

Though this is the way Grandma spent her last years, that is not the memory I will take with me. I will remember the Grandma from my childhood. The Grandma who sang the silly song "Thats what we learn in the school, ya ya" (sung with a high german flair) and we loved it. The Grandma who let me have the spare bedroom with the double bed and made my brothers sleep on the floor in the living room.

The Grandma who used to give us a chocolate bar and card for every birthday and always, always called us on our birthdays especially when she could not be there. She remembered the birthday of everyone of her children, grandchildren, probably every great grandchild and her two great great grandsons. She had an amazing memory for that.

I will always cherish the memory of playing Win, Lose or Draw with Grandma when she painstakingly tried to draw "Russian Dressing" as a Russian Soldier actually dressing. We all laughed so hard I think we had to end the game.

I remember going to Grandma's with several of my girl cousins and wrapping Christmas presents all day for her, we ordered in pizza and had a blast. It was a special time.

I enjoyed spending time with Grandma when she was in the hospital, I tried to make it there as often as possible with my crazy school and work schedule. Of course there were bad days for her, who wouldn't have those when spending day and night for several years in the hospital, knowing your husband is still living at home in their apartment. And then later, when Henry passed away she was more lonely then ever.

I am so happy that I got to be a part of her last outing that did not involve a ambulance or handi-van, when mom and I took her on a car ride. To see the joy and excitement in her eyes when she realized that this was actually possible made it soooo worth it, taking her for ice cream and seeing the homes of all her children. I am only disappointed that we could not take her out to Applebee's for her favorite Oriental Chicken Salad. That would have been the icing on the cake.

It was hard on Grandma to have Grandpa and Henry go before her, not to mention her two grandchildren Harlyn and Gloria, and my dad, her son-in-law. She is finally at peace, no more suffering, no more body that does not work for her.

Grandma, I look forward to seeing you again. I am jealous of you, especially at this time of year when missing my dad seems to be at it's worst, as I am sure the same goes for the families of Harlyn and Gloria. I cannot wait to see you again in your new body, running through the fields in Heaven, hand in hand with your loved ones and most importantly with your Heavenly Father. I love you Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment