Sunday, November 21, 2010

Goodbye to my time consuming friend...

Well, the time has come, I have decided to go back to my roots and sign off for good on Facebook. What a crazy and addicting sight it is. Stupidly, the main people I talk to on there are ones I see almost everyday. Otherwise I just sign in, often more then once a day, to see what everyone is writing as their status.

Sad, isn't it? That our world, our friendships can so easily be narrowed down to a status update? I mean, soon our status updates are what they are going to put on our epitaphs, or maybe our epitaphs will just be our status updates and rather then having a funeral when you die, everyone can just sign onto facebook and have a virtual funeral. The same could go for any type of get-together really. Weddings, family gatherings, birthday parites. I mean why not, it seems thats where we all know each other from anyway. Or spend the most time hanging out with each other. So I have decided to put a stop to it in my life.

I want the people who are my friends to talk to me in person, I don't want to be added to a friend list just so I can make the number count go up. I currently have 74 friends in my friend list (a rather small amount in facebook standards) and still only talk to maybe 10-15 of those friends. I challange anyone who reads this (and well lets face it thats no one) to take a look at their friends list on facebook and see how many of those people they actually talk to, delete the ones you never do and never care to, and if you see that whats left is people you see on a regular basis then delete your facebook account. Lets begin to get personal again, face to face, not face to computer screen. Lets not let the virtual world take over our lives.
Anyway, I understand if people want to stay on facebook, its a great way to see what everyone is up to. I am certainly not going to judge those who enjoy facebook stalking. I personally just have had enough of that life, maybe its my age and the fact that I wasn't born in the digital era. But sometimes I think technology can go a little to far. Remember the movie Wall-E? Do we really wanna end up like all those lazy people? Cause that is certainly where we are headed in this techno/digital era. No more letting computers and websites do the work for me, I am going to do my darndest to become more "personal" with my friends because they are all worth it to me:-)

3 comments:

  1. =) I really do wish I got to know you better while I was at Prov. Coffee when I get out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we have to buy a scrabble game to play in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure Joy, coffee would be great:-)
    And Felicia, it also means we have to get together in person more, which is what I am looking forward to:-)

    ReplyDelete